Thursday, November 18, 2010

Perth to Albany

What a beautiful city Perth is, only problem was the streets and shops all had undulating footpaths and floors, maybe I'd been at sea for too many days or I'll blame the sinus.  I did a trip to Perth city from Freo which included a visit to Kings Park and a trip along the river back to Fremantle.  It was incredibly hot so the river trip was a relief.  I have to say, however, that so many people did the trip up river it was difficult to get a seat and to hear the commentary.  I was amazed at how wide the Swan River is but some of the homes were also amazing.
From Perth the next stop was Bunbury where I spent Melbourne Cup day enjoying a bus trip to 2 wineries in The Margaret River region. It really was an enjoyable day sitting beside the tour guide and driver and running a sweep, and having a sing-a-long and teaching the Yanks Ozzie slang.  Our guide was an amusing, intelligent gentleman of advanced years who loved guiding as his wife had dementia and he said he loved speaking to people who would remember what he said.  I also enjoyed the wineries and managed to bring a couple of bottles back on board for later consumption. Try explaining to the Americans why the ladies were so dressed up for a cup luncheon miles away from the race!!!  Another visit which included food & alcohol and so worth it.
This gentleman Piped the ship into Port,
then entertained outside the church, then piped us out again.
Albany was the next stop and I chose not to do a tour but did do some shopping.  Great 'Rivers' store and a fab boutique where things were just that bit different.  I was amazed at how hilly it was and how friendly the locals were.  What was interesting too was that some of the touristy people who'd been in Bunbury were also in Albany. The Piper is an epileptic and this is how he subsides his pension.

On to Adelaide.  But first a promise to return to the West.

No comments:

Post a Comment